Free Research Report Download:
The Cancer Market Outlook To 2014
Free Pharmaceutical Market Research Reports
Corporate & Fiscal
Pharmaceutical Events & Conferences
Terms & Conditions
This report provides detailed profiles of the top 10 cardiovascular (CV) device companies and brief profiles of other major players. It also elucidates trends within the cardiovascular device market. The detailed profiles contain descriptions of business, financial performance, growth strategies and SWOT analyses. The analysis is based on:
• Each company’s consolidated and segmental financial performance;
• Each company’s growth strategies and major acquisitions and divestments relating to the CV devices market;
• Key partnerships and alliances formed by these companies;
• Business-related strengths and weaknesses of these companies and insights into the opportunities and threats facing them.
Key features of this report
• Innovations in CRM and DES segments such as MRI compatible pacemakers from Medtronic and Abbott’s Xience drug eluting stent with their positive clinical outcomes support stronger evidence for long-term benefits.
• Emerging markets for DES in Canada, China and parts of Asia furnish opportunities to expand businesses for CV companies.
• Ageing population in industrialized markets such as the US, Europe and Japan are increasing. Moreover, the ICDs and pacemakers in these geographies are expected to have a second-phase of CRM implants.
• The safety and efficacy of DES are under scrutiny following numerous clinical studies and more studies are being executed to justify the long-term efficacy of DES intervention.
• Markets for ICDs and pacemakers have reached maturation. ICD sales are growing between 4-5% and pacemakers between 2-3% annually.
• Reduction in reimbursement affects sales and profitability for CV device manufacturers.
Scope of this report
• Learn from the business operation strategies of the premier CV device companies to target future growth markets effectively, avoid their mistakes, and replicate their successes.
• Benchmark your performance against the leading CV device companies.
• Analyze the growth strategies of major players in the CV industry and how their business models are planned for the next 3 to 5 years.
• Compare performances of the top 10 companies in the CV market with respect to acquisitions, new product innovation, geographic expansion, and industry challenges.
• Save time, money and resources on analyzing the performance of leading CV device companies using this report.
Key Market Issues
Pricing pressures due to industry regulations
The CV device industry is highly regulated around the world with stringent guidelines defined by regulatory bodies. The medical device approvals by governing bodies such as the FDA in the US have become very meticulous that CV device manufacturers are launching products outside the US such as Europe and Canada. Since the prices are strictly regulated outside the US, manufacturers will be forced to launch their products in the US for a similar price. In the long run, the pricing pressures would continue to prevail and limit the profitability margins for CV device manufacturers.
Significance of CV device innovation
Markets reaching saturation for major revenue generators in the CV device segment such as ICD, pacemaker and DES. New device innovation will be the only parameter that will assure a company of its competitive edge. Novel technologies that are uncontested would help a company by allowing it to charge premium pricing. Research & development (R&D) initiatives and interdisciplinary knowledge will remain the benchmark for assuring a company’s success and commanding prevalence in the market.
Decline in capital expenditure of hospitals
In the US, hospitals spend a considerable amount of their revenues on capital expenditure to improve their facilities and purchase new medical technology. However, the impact of economic recession since 2008 had forced hospitals to decrease their capital expenditure by almost 6%. This decline will impact the medical devices industry across all sectors in the CV device division. Some segments of the CV device industry such as ICD, pacemakers, heart valves and stents will remain insulated from the economic impact given their non-elective nature of associated procedures. other low budget, high-frequency CV accessories that hospitals purchases on a regular basis will be affected due to decline of capital expenditures.
Key findings from this report
• The top 10 companies had cumulative revenues of $27bn in 2009 and over 95% share of the global CV device market. The top 3 CV device companies dominate more than 60% of this segment’s market share.
• Medtronic was the No. 1 company with CV device revenues of $8.6bn in 2009. The company strategically acquired other franchises to expand its heart valve and catheter product portfolios.
• The growth rates of the implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) and pacemaker sectors in 2009 were 4–5% and 2–3% respectively. The ventricular assist device (VAD) and atrial fibrillation (AF) sectors are poised for double-digit growth rates over the next 2–3 years.
• Business Insights’ analysis revealed that, even during economic recession, the CV device market has remained buoyant, achieving single-digit growth. However, the growth rate in this segment – with the exception of AF solutions and VAD sales – will remain in the mid single digits over the next decade.
Key questions answered
• What was the market value of the global CV device industry in 2009?
• What are the global market values for the major CV device segments?
• What are the key trends in the CV device industry and what are the leading companies’ strategic responses?
• Who are the major players in the global CV device market?
• What are the growth strategies of the leading CV device companies?